Search This Blog

Friday, April 15, 2011

Cape May Trip

My grandparents are taking us to Cape May on Saturday where we will stay for a week chasing newly arrived warblers, vireos, shorebirds and everything else. I will try to get some posting done while down there. We will be stopping at Brigantine National Wildlife Refuge (a famous marshland birding hot spot) on the way down, and Sterling Forest State Park on the way back up where we will be looking for Cerulean and Golden-winged Warblers.

It's going to be hard birding with my pair of binoculars that don't focus properly. They focus only one eye at a time. So I always have one eye unfocused and one in sharp focus. Luckily I don't notice it that much.

The birds that I am really looking for at Cape May are: any rail species and warblers from the Cardellina and Geothlipis genus though I will take any species of bird I can get!

On last years long weekend trip (in May) we bagged 87 bird species. My goal is to leave that 87 in the dust with this years list.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds exciting! Just a side note: The Cerulean and Golden-winged Warblers do not set up shop for nesting until around the 3rd week of May. The best time to see them at Sterling Forest (I've been there) is probably the last week of May and first week of June.

    ReplyDelete